Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Little Man can Hold a Grudge!

I love the little conversations that happen when we are driving in the car. Yesterday, McKenna & I picked Chase up from preschool. Usually he is in a super good mood, but yesterday this was not the case. I was thanking a friend for some help she had given me, and Chase begins so kindly screaming at me from the car.
Chase: "Mom, mom, can I have the rest of the granola bar?
Me: "Yes buddy, but please do not speak to me that way. Make sure you share some with your sister"
When I finally ended my all of 3 minute conversation, I climb back into the car to Chase's griping about how he can not break off any of the bar. (Nature valley bar...they are hard to break and quite messy) So I break off a small piece and handed it to McKenna. Chase begins a nice 4 year old tantrum about how he wanted to give it to McKenna. My response, "Well maybe next time if you talk kindly to me I will let you give it to McKenna. (Yeah I know, what a reward!) Throughout the drive home, McKenna is begging for more of the treat. Chase is obviously not going to share anymore. I look in my side door and find a small piece of the bar remaining, because lets face it, it was my breakfast and I never quite got around to eating it. (So typical) So I hand the appetizing looking snack to my daughter and Chase starts tantruming once again.
Chase: McKenna, I am very angry with you.
Me: Chase don't be unkind to your sister.
Chase: McKenna, I am not happy that you got more than me. I am never sharing my treats with you again!
Me: Chase, stop being so angry with your sister. I am the one who gave it to her. So if you want to be upset with someone it should be me.
Chase: Oh don't worry Mom. I am even madder at you than McKenna. Thats a promise.
Me: Well okay then.

He may hold a grudge, but at least he is honest about it. Hopefully those 2 qualities will nicely balance each other out.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

How funny! I love how honest they are at that age! It's funny because a lot of times (when I'm in a good mood of course), the things that Avery does when she's mad makes me laugh... she does this grunting thing and stomps her foot at the same time when I do something that annoys her.