Monday, January 19, 2009

Sibling Rivalry: Alive & Well

I have long heard talk about sibling rivalry, particulary in-line sibling rivalry. (You rival with the sibling above or below you in age) I didn't used to believe too much in the term, but as a mother, I am now a believer. The other day the boys and I picked McKenna up from our friend's house. She got in the car and started chattering. McK: "Lisa friend me Mom." Me: "Is Lisa your friend McKenna?" McK: "Yeah." "Brinton friend me." Me: "Yeah, Brinton is McKenna's friend." McK: "Mommy friend me. Daddy friend me." Me: "Is Chase McKenna's friend?" (I held my breath. I knew I just shouldn't ask.) Mck: "No Chasey no me friend." Me: "McKenna, Chase loves you very much. He is your friend." Mck: "Chasey, you friend me?" Chase: "No I'm not your friend." Me: "Chase that isn't very nice." Chase: "Well she said I wasn't her friend 1st." And that is how it goes! It's hard to argue with that one.

No comments: